Kitchen Grease Fires
COOKING ACCOUNTS FOR 50% OF ALL RESIDENTIAL FIRES IN THE U.S.
HOW TO PUT OUT A GREASE FIRE:
- NEVER EVER USE WATER TO PUT OUT A GREASE FIRE
- Turn off the source of the heat on the stove. Do not try to move the pot because you don't want to accidentally spill or splash the burning oil.
- Remove all oxygen from the flame. You can cover with another pot or pan. Do not cover it with a glass lid because the glass lid may shatter.
- If you can't cover it, dump lots of baking soda on it.
- Use a chemical fire extinguisher on the grease fire. There are different kinds of extinguishers. Not all can be used on a grease fire.
- Know where the extinguisher is located and learn how to use it.
- Don't leave the cooking unattended.
Call SERVPRO of Paducah & Mayfield 24/7 at 270-443-4555 for fire and water cleanup and restoration!